Who can resist a soft, moist carrot cake with the warm flavours of cinnamon, nutmeg and all-spice…….flavours that usually fill the air at this time of year when we enjoy other Christmas treats such as fruit cake or mince pies. Lukholo and I turned our carrot cake into a Christmas wreath and also added a delectable Amasi Cream Cheese topping.
CARROT CAKE WITH AMASI CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Ingredients: for the Cake
250ml Sunflower Oil
225g muscovado (brown) Sugar
3 large Eggs
225g Self-raising flour
Pinch of Salt
½ tsp each ground cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg
250g grated carrots
Ingredients: for the Frosting
50g butter at room temperature
225gram AMASI cream cheese
50g sifted icing sugar
5ml vanilla extract
100g chopped pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Grease a ring tin or grease and line the base of 2 x 23cm sandwich tins
- Using a hand mixer combine the oil, brown sugar and eggs
- Sift together the flour and salt and spices
- Fold into the into the egg mixture
- Stir in the grated carrots
- Pour into the ring tin or divide between two sandwich tins
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes until skewer comes out clean
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes and then turn onto rack to cool
- Beat together the softened butter and Amasi cream cheese.
- Sift in icing sugar and stir to combine
- Add Vanilla extact
- Spread or pipe frosting over the cake and decorate with chopped pecan nuts.
Remember that the frosting can be made with regular cream cheese if you do not have Amasi.
We would like to take this time to wish you and your families a joyous festive season a may you look forward to a wonderful 2018…….please keep following and sharing our recipes!