Pork Roast with “Stywe pap”, Apricot and Fennel Stuffing
1 x 2.5kg leg of Pork
1 fennel bulk sliced
400ml white wine (or use chicken or vegetable stock as a substitute)
Ingredients for the “stywe pap” stuffing
250 ml of water
1/2 tsp salt
187ml cups maize meal
5ml olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
125ml cup walnuts, roughly chopped
62ml dried apricots, roughly chopped
5ml dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Method: ( Prepare the stywe pap first)
1. Pour the water into a large pot, add the salt and butter and bring to the boil.
2. Slowly pour the maize meal into the pot to form a cone in the center but don’t stir!
3. Cover with the lid, reduce the heat to low and allow the pap to simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Using a large fork (such as a carving fork), stir it until crumbly and cover again with the lid. Simmer for an hour on low heat.
5. heat the olive oil and butter in a pan
Saute the copped onion and add the oregano, chopped nuts and chopped dried apricots.
6. Stir into the “stywe pap” to distribute evenly and season to taste
7. Loosen the skin on the leg of pork to create a “pocket”, (but leave it attached at the sides) and press the stuffing into the “pocket created with the loosened skin
8. Season the pork leg well with salt and place into a roasting pan on top of the sliced fennel
9. Pour around the wine and place into a pre-heated oven
10. Roast at 230 degrees Celsius for 1/2 hour
11. Reduce the heat to 180 degrees and continue to roast for 1 ½ – 2 hours
12. Add additional water or wine if the original liquid evaporates
13. When cooked remove from the oven and slice
14. Serve with the pan juices.