A-MAIZE-ing Chakalaka Chili Beef with Cornbread Topping
1 Tablespoon olive oil
500g ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 of a jalapeño, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 can chakalaka
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 Tablespoon chilli powder
1 Tablespoon packed light or dark brown sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup (120g) mealie meal
1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
5 ml baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 cup (240ml) Amasi
1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned)
1. In a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat, heat the oil for 1 minute. Add
the ground mince, onion, peppers, jalapeño, and garlic.
2. Sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up with a spoon as you
go– about 10 minutes. Stir in the rest of the chilli ingredients, then reduce to
3. Cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C).
5. Also meanwhile, whisk all of the cornbread ingredients together in a large
bowl. Remove the chilli from heat and spread the cornbread batter on top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cornbread is golden on top and cooked
through. Serve warm.
Make ahead tip: If you want to get started ahead of time, prepare the chilli the day
before, cover, and store in the fridge. Then, 30 minutes before dinner, place into
your skillet, throw the cornbread batter on top, and bake as directed.